Bull Eclogues: "The Brazen Bull"

Bull Eclogues
“There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life."

The Cretan
The Island
The Drug
The Oracle
The Maze
The God


The Brazen Bull

Great story, Pasiphaё. Queen falls in love
with a white bull, and builds a wooden cow
she hides inside to consummate her lust.
She’s not the cow, you see. She just needs help.

This thing of darkness, we all have one. Or two.
I’m working hard on changing, with God’s help,
my harmful ways of thinking, and my wife,
bless her, has stuck by me throughout this time.

I want to speak a straight word to my past.
M.J., I know you’re watching this, my friend.
I believe we’re not the creatures of our genes,

we can change. Who could have imagined this,
a young black man would enter the White House?
This is the golden currency of dreams.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Thumboo's "Ulysses by the Merlion"

Steven Cantor's "What Remains: the Life and Work of Sally Mann"

Goh Chok Tong's Visit to FCBC