International Fine Art Fair 2007

I visited an art fair of this scale for the first time on Sunday. The fair was held in the Park Avenue Armory, the interior of which reminded me more of a very plush officers' club than of any weapon stash.

The Impressionists and Post-impressionists were strongly represented at the fair: Pissaro, Bonnard, Vuillard, Vlaminck, Renoir, Sisley. There was a large cubist Picasso that I did not like very much. A lovely Copley half-portrait of a stiff-backed woman dressed and hooded in black, her eyes glittering out of a noble face. Several Roaul Duffys, with their sketch-like figures standing at the pier, or shouting from the spectator stands of a racecourse. The English painters represented at the fair were largely forgettable: too much fact and not enough vision. I also found myself losing interest in the Chagalls, which suffered from the reverse problem.

I really liked the Andrew Wyeth watercolors. One of a cush-saw standing in the center, in front of a clapboard house. The red flowers below the saw gave the sharptoothed machine a romantic tinge. Another painting was of a dormer window opened on top of a roof, below a sky about to rain. A third is a lovely landscape with the most delicate grasses along a river. I can't find any of these online, so here's one titled "Bradford House."



Wearing tee-shirt and jeans, I was probably under-dressed among the suited and tied, but that did not bother me. I guess that's the power of a buyer, even when this buyer has no power to buy anything.

Comments

James said…
I challenge you to write an ekphrasis poem . . . :D

Just an idea since it seemed his paintings moved you in one way or another.

(PS: re MaPo: I decided to stop at day 15, which is today. We're having exam in a few days and it proved to be too much. There appeared a few nice poems this month, though, so I'm glad I continued post-NaPo.)

Best,
James
James said…
Oi. By the way, if you do write an ekphrasis poem, here's a link; http://books.guardian.co.uk/poetryworkshop/story/0,,1887575,00.html
Jee Leong said…
Hi James,
I hate ekphrastic poems, with a very few exceptions like "Musee des Beaux Arts." Art about art is often just too precious for me.

Jee Leong

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Thumboo's "Ulysses by the Merlion"

Steven Cantor's "What Remains: the Life and Work of Sally Mann"

Goh Chok Tong's Visit to FCBC