12. Cheeks

It is time to bring your face into focus
before this lens moves below the chin to other features harder to identify
as yours.
The best image is that of the cheeks.

The right cheek and the left cheek do not meet.
Like the back of the hand and the palm,
like the head of a silver coin and its tail,
the cheeks do not see each other except in a mirror or a photograph.

This was true of my cheeks
until my right brushed your left when we danced and, in that flash of flesh,
the coin turned up both head and tail,
the back of the hand shook hands with the palm.


Plan for this poem-in-progress

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jee leong, your poems are wonderful and insperational. I love how wide a range of peoms you have created from your homeland, singapore, to sex. I also love how you write about love without the writing being too graphic.
CONGRATS ON YOUR BOOK, i can't wait to purchase it. Will it ever be in stores? I am an english teacher myself just like you and i think it is wonderful that you can write and teach! your poems have really touched me, thank you so much.
Anonymous said…
i totally agree. Jee leong you are so amazing.
Jee Leong said…
Hi Anon No. 1, I'm glad you like the poems. You can purchase my chapbook by clicking the Paypal button at the top of the blog. My publisher is trying to get a distributor for institutions, but not bookstores.

Hi Anon No. 2, I specialize in amazing. :)
Anonymous said…
HAHA.. you really manipulate with words don't you? but i love your style! =)
Anonymous said…
jee,

this is such a heart-warming entry! i could literatelly feel my heart palpitating.. aww.. its just so sweet!
nice one jee!
Jee Leong said…
It is rather sweet, and hopeful, isn't it?

Jee

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Thumboo's "Ulysses by the Merlion"

Goh Chok Tong's Visit to FCBC

Steven Cantor's "What Remains: the Life and Work of Sally Mann"